In honor of the day, here's a slightly tongue-in-check, but very true, list of reasons to consider OpenOffice.org.
You might be looking for a new relationship this year. An office suite that doesn't cost you more than you get from it. An office suite that supports you in accomplishing your goals rather than spending all your time supporting it. OpenOffice.org is here for you. Here are some great reasons to fall in love with it.
10. OpenOffice.org will change to please you. It will, if you so desire, meet you at the door each evening with a menu of your favorite choices. (Which is to say, you can configure the menus and toolbars to say and portray whatever you want.)
9. Does Microsoft Office give you $450 of love for everyone who uses it? It's a user, not a giver. Spend your money on something important. Education. Cancer research. A truly great pepperoni pizza. OpenOffice.org doesn't take you away from what you want to do.
8. OpenOffice.org makes great PDFs, with a zillion graphics, display, and security settings you usually only see in Adobe products.
7. Want cool templates? All your Microsoft Office templates work in OpenOffice.org.
6. OpenOffice.org won't leave the relationship and take all your stuff with it. Microsoft Office makes files in its own proprietary format. OpenOffice.org uses OpenDocument format that anyone can make a program to open. It's your data -- don't pay someone to let you access it.
5. As Lyle Lovett says in his song, "I married her just because she looks like you." OpenOffice.org looks more like your current version of Microsoft Office than Microsoft Office 2007 does.
4. OpenOffice.org gets along with all your friends. It runs on Vista. On Linux. On Mac.
3. Want support? Sun Microsystems provides it.
2. Microsoft Office is high maintenance -- if you don't keep track of all your licenses, Bill's jack-booted thugs come around and throw a hissy fit. OpenOffice.org is low maintanance. Upgrade or don't, and either way, pay nothing.
1. Cost of buying OpenOffice.org licenses for everyone in your organization: $0. Never having to pay Bill another cent: Priceless.
http://www.openoffice.org Download it today. Start loving it tonight.