It's time to report in on how the OpenOffice 2.o book is doing! I'm glad to report that I've got pretty much 90% of it done. I'm going to let it sit for a bit, do some other projects, then come back to it and finish up. I think "spring" will still apply since June 21st is the first day of summer. ;'>
First, thanks again to all who gave me great tips on items to include in the OpenOffice 2 book. I have incorporated the suggestions that I have room for (it's primarily a beginner/intermediate book). I'm hammering home styles, I'm trying to make it very easy for people to integrate templates, I'm talking about graphics and frames, lots of stuff on tables, autotext and shortcuts are definitely in, and I'm enhancing the chapter on working with MS Office. And of course I'm doing lots of mail merge tools, with tips on creating a separate Envelopes printer, as well as using the Secret Mail Merge Louis told me about. I'm also going to add Ross's excellent suggestion to try nested frames.
Some topics are covered fully, some are going to be covered briefly either in the appropriate chapter or in a "How to get started on the top 20 things I didn't have room to include in this book" appendix. ;>
I'm now posting a couple sample chapters, in their DRAFT state. I'd like feedback, and I'd like to just send them out there for anyone to use, for those who ordered two years ago because Amazon posted the book WAY too early. ;>
Here are the caveats and review guidelines.
- This is DRAFT material. I've been back through it but it hasn't been edited or proofed.
- I haven't completed the chapter on working with Microsoft Office users. I need to research more specific problems and solutions, though I think the tips in the chapter will take people a long way.
- You can use these chapters yourself but of course not reprint them, publish them under your own name, etc.
Feel free to just download and read. If in addition you'd like to comment, please follow these guidelines.
- It's too early for typos, so you don't need to worry about those.
- Tell me other things you'd like to know about.
- Tell me anything that's wrong.
- I'd love to hear about solutions you've come up with or tips you'd like to contribute.
Here are the chapters.
Thanks! I appreciate all input. I'll most likely post additional chapters before it's published.