Psst! Do you like PDF?
Do you like easy, free ways to convert to PDF?
Do you have a bunch of PDF files you need to convert at once? I'm talking PDF batch convert.
Do you need to convert web pages to PDF?
And are you the type who doesn't mind just a bit of a hack to get cool results?
Then you are going to love this feature.
You might not have noticed a PDF Batch Convert feature in OpenOffice.org 2.0. That's because it's a Web page wizard, under File > Wizards > Web Page. This is OK—the Web wizard has some really cool features for web publishing but I'm all about PDF so that's what I'm concentrating on.
All right. Here we go. We're going to start the Web wizard, select the OpenOffice.org files you want to convert to PDF, specify where the output goes, ignore the extraneous HTML files in the output directory, and have ourselves a really dandy PDF batch convert process.
1. Choose File > Wizards > Web Page. You'll get this window. (Click it to see a larger image if you want.)
2. Just click Next.
3. Now you'll see the window where you put the files to convert to PDF. (Click it to see a larger image if you want.) Just click Add and find the files—Writer files, whatever you want. You can select all the files in the directory at once; just hold down Ctrl and select.
4. Now you say, convert these to PDF for me, please. For each file, select it and in the dropdown list, select the format to convert to. Select PDF for press for higher quality.
5. When you've specified PDF for each, click Next a few times to get to the last window.
6. Specify the directory where you want the PDF files created.
7. Then just click Finish.
8. The PDFs will be created in the directory you specified—but inside a Content directory, along with an index.html file and other stuff.
9. Just open the content directory, and you'll see your PDFs.
Isn't it slick? I think it's great, and wanted to make sure you know about it since I just stumbled upon it on my own.
Now, there's a teeny issue. On my Windows desktop, but not my laptop, this doesn't work.It works the first time but not the second time. A message pops up saying the files aren't there, and to run repair. Running Repair doesn't work. The bug has been filed but not a lot of people get it. So if this doesn't work for you, just wait for the next rev, or try it on another machine.